- Hereditary, chronic disease of the red blood cells. The red blood cells have a shorter lifespan.
- The hematopoietic system reacts with bone marrow proliferation in order to produce more red blood cells.
- It mainly affects people from the Mediterranean region. It can be heterozygous or monozygous type
- Radiographic changes:
- Hair-on-end effect of the skull.
- Widening of the diploe.
- Enlarged bone marrow spaces in all bones
- Generalized bone rarefaction.
- Enlargement of the jaws
- Reduction of the maxillary sinus
- Thinning of cortical structures (especially the lower border of the mandible)
- Lamina dura loss and shortening of teeth roots.